BASSETT HISTORICAL CENTER Site Search Donate Home Slideshow

Collection of Dr. Harry Lee King, Jr.

Dr. Harry Lee King, Jr. was born 1 August 1916 to Harry Lee King, Sr. and Vida Hurt King.  Dr. King was a veteran of the US Navy, serving as a Lieutenant in World War II.  He was a 1932 graduate of Hargrave Military Academy, received a bachelor's degree in 1936 from University of Richmond and a Master's and Doctorate from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Dr. King was Professor Emeritus of French and Spanish at Wake Forest University.  When he retired from Wake Forest, he purchased "King’s Grant" (or The Old Turner Place) in Henry, Virginia and lived there until he passed away on 11 November 2008.  He was buried in the King Family Cemetery in Henry.

"King’s Grant" was built around 1790, located in the community of Henry, Franklin County, Virginia.  Situated on a tract of land originally consisting of about 4400 acres acquired around 1750, "King’s Grant" was a Royal Land Grant from King George II of England and has remained with the descendants of Shadrack Turner for two and a half centuries.  It has belonged to Josiah Turner, born 1751; William Turner, 1753-1845, and his wife, Jane Hunter Turner, 1759-1851, who donated eight acres of land for Town Creek Church, constituted in 1751 and one of Virginia’s oldest Baptist congregations.  Among those who have resided longest at the house are Stephen Turner, 1806-1884, and his wife Ruth Prillaman Turner, 1813-1935; their daughter, Martha Jane Turner 1852-1935, and her husband James Alexander “Cap” Turner.

 Dr. King loved this peaceful old cabin where the back portion of the cabin was built to provide a kitchen area.  The cabin was full of family antiques, furniture, portraits and paintings, and a story went with each of those antiques that Dr. King was very willing to share with all who visited him.  When Dr. King died, he left "King’s Grant" to a niece, thus still remaining in the family.

Pictured at right: The cabin at King's Grant, Dr. Harry Lee King, Jr. 





List of Files




Bassett Historical Center . 3964 Fairystone Park Highway . Bassett, VA 24055
Voice: (276)629-9191 . Fax: (276)629-9840 . Facebook . Sitemap . ©Copyright/Credits . Email
A 501(c)3 Nonprofit Organization